So....how am I going to live in the HERE and NOW? Well, I am going to take the academic approach to this because my social approach would be slightly odd and might not be beneficial to me in the slightest. Sorry about the slight ramble there.
Back on topic, I think I am going to live in the HERE and NOW by going ahead and getting all my work done now. Trust and believe this a true statement that is also a work in progress, even though it's working on me more than I am working on it. If you've read my struggles with procrastination then this should make perfect to you, if you haven't....well that's not what this blog post is about.
Personally I think that this whole HERE and NOW thing is completely overrated. It is just an academic way of saying YOLO, which I think is one of the stupidest sayings ever. Let me explain myself. YOLO means takes risks that WON'T GET YOU KILLED OR ARRESTED!!!!!! I hate this whole hipster approach to the whole thing because it is just thrown around as an excuse to do stupid things that you know is against every single moral and common sense one has in their body. The whole HERE and NOW thing is about the same thing only dealing with school work. I'm not downing or dissing it, I'm just disagreeing because I don't like it. I have always been taught to work towards the future. Just this morning, Mr. Henry Thomas, the guy who founded UTOP told me "Today's going to happen. Let it happen. Always plan for tomorrow." So, that's what I am going to do.
I think that's enough of my upset rant about the first question, onto the next. Finding meaning and purpose in my core classes will not be an issue for me. The issue will be to find the motivation to treat them as if they are part of my major and give them equal priority as the things that I am actually interested in.
I came to college to get a good job, cliche right? Not really. I have always been told what was good for me, so I came to college to get the heck away from my past. I got away from the people, met new ones, but unfortunately my bad habits followed me. I didn't come to college because I had to, I came to find out who the heck Kalyn D. Adamson really is. Coming out of high school, I was someone who obeyed the rules and avoided confrontations at all costs. Now I am coming out here to challenge and question everything that I have been taught and given to see if that's what's right for me. You can't find out who you are unless you get everyone else's thoughts and beliefs off of you first.
I will challenge myself to learn and grow everyday by sitting down and reflect on the day. I am going to have to separate my academic reflect and the "rest of the world" reflection, but ultimately I am going to have to buckle down and try and break all the bad habits that screwed me over in high school. One big one is procrastination and I still have yet to figure out how to break that one....
No comments:
Post a Comment